I’m not normally a huge fan of summer. I definitely was when I was a kid… summers were magical. Long stretches of doing nothing in particular… watching cartoons with my little brother every morning, riding bikes with my friends… BBQs and swimming and fireworks. But summer sort of lost it’s magic for me once I grew up and was no longer in school. Now fall and early winter are the most magical time of year for me; I am positively blissful from September to December.
This year feels different though. This winter was unbelievably brutal and long, and I’ve found myself daydreaming about all the wonderful things I wanted to do this summer. Beach days, and picnics in Central Park, vacations. Summer is the busiest time for my business, and I am booked pretty solidly until November, but I know if I don’t make time for fun – literally schedule it into my calendar – I will work myself into the ground. And after this winter, I really want to savor my summer.
New York City really comes alive with fun (often free) activities in the summer. (That’s actually true all year round, but maybe moreso when it’s warm out.) I’ve been looking at my calendar and planning some summertime adventures. You know I’m a big fan of lists, so I thought I would make a mini version of my 101 in 1001 list with fun things I want to do this summer. So without further ado… here’s what I’d like to do this summer
- Have a picnic in Central Park
- Go to the Hester Street Fair one Saturday
- Take the water taxi to Governer’s Island one afternoon
- Go to the ballet at Lincoln Center
- Go to Coney Island
- Walk the second section of the High Line when it opens this summer
- Go to the free Moth event at Central Park’s Summerstage on June 28th
- Spend a lot of time at the beach
- Travel like crazy! (So far I have plans to go to North Carolina, Boston, California, and Maine – some of those for work, some for fun.)
- Go to the Brooklyn Botanic Garden
- Eat a lot of chocolate gelato
- Go to lots of Yankees games!
- BBQ on our terrace with our friends as much as possible
What do you want to do this summer? Is there something really fun going on in NYC that I’ve left off my list? Summer is coming, and I am kind of shocked by how excited I am getting!
(John and I last summer – one of our engagement photos taken by the lovely Alethea Cheng Fitzpatrick of NestingNYC.)