Now that we have the bad stuff out of the way, we can focus on the good stuff. The things I’m grateful for, the things that were working, and my goals for 2012 – personal and professional.
The best things about this year…
- YOU. All of you. My clients. You guys were amazing. I adore you all. But you knew that…
- John and his constant support. John is the only person who is totally unsurprised by my success. He always tells me he’s so proud of me but not at all shocked that this little business venture of mine seems to be working out. He believes in me more than anyone else – certainly much more than I’ve believed in myself this year.
- I got to travel all up and down the East Coast shooting weddings. I visited so many places I would have never visited otherwise, and that was awesome. I love to travel!
- Looking back at the work I was producing last year to the work I am now producing… it’s like night and day. I have grown so much as an artist… challenged myself… found my voice, so to speak. That journey (which is never really over) has been incredible. I’m so proud of the work I have done this year.
- My personal project. I still have a lot of work to do on it, but I love what I’ve been able to create. And the people who helped make that possible.
- My new website! I finally feel like I have a website that feels like ME, and that is so refreshing. Working with Super Runaway was beyond awesome.
- My fellow A Practical Wedding sponsors. I finally found my people. I am so grateful for their friendship, their sense of humor, that I can talk to them about my business and they 100% know where I’m coming from. We share the same highs and lows, the same struggles. I love these people so ridiculously much. (And I can’t wait to go to Vegas with them in February!)
- My new packaging. I’ve created new packaging based on my new website, and I’m so excited to start using it this coming year. (More on that later.)
- Finding my niche – elopements. I am so incredibly passionate about the little elopements I get to shoot – I love how personal they are, how much time we’re able to spend on portraits. I love my big weddings, but deciding to only take 12 big weddings and focus on elopements in 2012 was one of the best decisions I’ve ever made.
- John and I celebrated six years together and one year married, which was amazing.
- We did a lot of traveling, but by far my favorite trip this year was to San Francisco. San Francisco was beyond incredible, and we’re hoping to go back again in a few months. It’s probably the only place besides New York I could ever see myself living, and I can’t wait to go back and spend some more time there in 2012.
- I was able to cross a bunch of things off my life list this year. And I have a lot of awesome things to add to it for 2012. Yay for accomplishing goals!
- I celebrated my fifth year of living in New York City – and in 2012 New York City will officially become the place I’ve lived the longest in my life. (We moved a lot when I was a kid.) So that is pretty awesome. I love this city so much, and I am grateful for everyday I get to live and work here.
So definitely lots to be thankful for in 2011, and lots to look forward to in 2012. The experience of being a business lady has been awesome – sometimes scary, sometimes overwhelming, sometimes exciting, often liberating, sometimes binding, always exhausting… but I can honestly say, looking back at the last couple of years, and knowing what I know now – would I do it again? In a second. And I think as long as the answer to that question is always “yes” then I am on the right path.
And for the final 2011 round up… my favorite photographs of the year! So look for that tomorrow.