I know it’s already February, but it’s never too late to set some goals and intentions for the year. Last year was a bit unusual, as I spent the first half on maternity leave, and when I came back after leave, I was only working very part-time. This year I am back at work full force again and excited to see what 2016 brings for my business. Here are some things I’m hoping to accomplish this year…
- Photograph 20 elopements. I think twenty is the sweet spot for me. It affords me a good work/life balance, and allows me to give each couple a lot of individual attention. (I still have openings available, so if you want to be one of the 20, I hope you’ll get in touch.)
- Continue to grow my family portrait business, which I launched late last year. Ideally I’d like to photograph 20-30 families in 2016.
- Launch a separate website for headshots. I’ve found I really love photographing lifestyle headshot sessions, and so I’ve decided to put a lot of effort into growing this little side business. I’ll be launching my new site later this week, so keep an eye out.
- Schedule at least four days of mini sessions – two in the spring and two in the fall. I LOVED shooting mini sessions last year, so I’m excited to offer them again for 2016.
- Stick to working during my office hours, for the sake of my sanity and my family. My office hours are 10am to 3pm, Monday to Thursday. I tend to have work-a-holic tendencies, and will work late into the evening if I let myself go unchecked.
- Blog at least three times a week. I used to be great at maintaining the blog, but that fell by the wayside after my girls were born, so I’m hoping I can get back on top of it this year.
- Have new headshots taken. I haven’t updated my headshot in a long time, so this needs to happen. I’m going to Iceland with a bunch of photographer friends in March (more on that later), and I’m hoping I can have some headshots done during that trip.
- Get new business cards printed.
- Run a 5K this year. This is something I’ve been talking about doing with friends for a while, so I just need to register and make it happen.
- Print my wedding album. I’ve been married five years, and I still haven’t made time to design my own wedding album. Whoops.
- Plan a week away with John and the kids. Last year we rented a house in the middle of nowhere in Rhode Island for a week, and it was such a lovely vacation. We didn’t do a lot of sightseeing, we just relaxed and hung out with our kids. I definitely want to do that again this summer.
- Keep sending out my TinyLetter once a week. This has been such a wonderful personal project for me, and I really want to keep it up. It’s nice to have something 100% non-photography related to focus on.
- Make more time for friends. I’m pretty sure my childless friends are going to (or maybe already have) stop inviting me to things because I almost always say no. I miss seeing my friends on a regular basis, and my friendships are so important to me, so I am going to try harder to make time for them in 2016.
- Read more. I have been carving out time to read everyday over the last few months, and it’s been wonderful. I want to continue to do this even when wedding season kicks into high gear. (To see what I’m currently reading and loving, you can follow me on Goodreads.
In years past, I’ve had a long list of goals that just never happened. This year, I’m keeping it simple. What are some of your goals for 2016? Share one in the comments.